Skip to main content

We Are All Called to Freedom

Last Thursday I was invited to bring the message for Sunday morning's worship services at a Central Texas Women's Prison. It was short notice, but an invitation I gave no hesitation too. It was an answer to prayer. While I frequent prisons to deliver intense advances, based on the book Captivating by Stasi & John Eldredge, I had just shared with my team my desire to get in front of women who might not, otherwise commit to attending our 2-3 day events.
With a road trip home the next day in front of me, it left only one day to put together a message before getting back on the road to return, I had my work cut out for me, or so I thought. The theme proved easy enough. Freedom! After all, I would be speaking on July 1st. A quick google search (don't hate, it's just technology's improvement to the concordance) of the word Freedom immediately turned up Isaiah 61:1

The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the broken hearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners.

A pattern was emerging. I had my who, the captive. I had my what, freedom and release. This may prove to be easy enough after all. Next would be a word study, my favorite part of sermon prep, right behind the aha moments. 

Freedom = the power or right to act, speak or think with out restraint. (ladies behind bars will love this one); the absence of foreign (outside) domination (again, they'll love this!); the state of not being imprisoned or enslaved (oh ya!)

Liberty = the power or scope to act as one pleases (thought provoking)

Captive = anyone bound

The anticipated question arises, "Then why are we (they) here, imprisoned?" The answer (other than the short obvious one) a truth mined for, revealed a principle.

Romans 8:21 that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery* to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God.

Wow! Creation, in all it's beauty is being held back? For a visual person like me, this is almost too much to consider. I can't begin to imagine the colors and beauty that will be revealed when released.

There it is... in the sphere of which God made us, Eden, a place of perfect freedoms, environment has natural and spiritual boundaries. The simple example: a bird flies in the air, and a worm crawls on the ground (I said simple). Exchange their atmosphere (swap them) and they will not survive. 

Environment influences freedom. Actions have consequences. Freedom has a price. 

But I hadn't fully considered the "Why?"

Galatians 5:13 It is absolutely clear that God has called you to a free life. Just make sure that you don't use this freedom as an excuse to do whatever you want to do and destroy your freedom. Rather, use your freedom to serve one another in love; that's how freedom grows. For everything we know about God's Word is summed up in a single sentence: Love others as you love yourself. That's an act of true freedom. If you bit and ravage each other, watch out - in no time at all you will be annihilating each other, and where will your precious freedom be then?

Because we are called to... a free life! (for obvious reasons, you know that blew up in me!) And it (freedom) grows opportunity... to love, or to entertain flesh. (That'll preach, and it did!)

But what about the "How?"

1 Peter 2:16-17 Make the Master proud of you by being good citizens. Respect the authorities whatever their level; they are Gods emissaries for keeping order (including the officers) It is God's will that by doing good, you might cure the ignorance of the fools who think you're a danger to society. Exercise your freedom by serving God, not by breaking the rules. (act as a free man now, it's ReEntry prep!) Treat everyone you meet with dignity. love your spiritual family. Revere God. Respect the government, dignity. Love your spiritual family. Revere God. Respect the government. 

Do I have to say that there was some shouting going on when this was read?
Well ... John 8:32 And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
James 1:25 whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it - not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it - they will be blessed in what they doThere it is, the reward... increase! (healing; freedoms; and answers)

Then I brought it on home with ...
It is our sin that keeps us (far) from God, from freedom. Isaiah 59:2
Simply repent and return to your first Love Rev. 2:4

When I began this post I hadn't planned to share the message as much as the adventure. Clearly that proved hard to do. Not sharing the "good stuff" would be to deny the richness of what I "freely receive" in this life as a ...prison minister/understaffed chaplain/freedom fighter.

But it (freedom) is not without its price. Far beyond the obvious expense of travel and time, there is the price paid to keep your heart free. And rest assured, it will be tested, as mine was when I showed up for the first service. There, at the front of the Chapel, was a ministry team of four. I quickly surmised that we had been double booked. Now what?

I heard the words, "You've wasted your time and what little monies you have!" I recognized the voice, and the opportunity for the flesh. Immediately I put Gal. 5:13 into play ...  serve one another in love; that's how freedom grows. I quickly took the stance of recipient, rather than giver. 

The result? Freedom grew opportunity. We served (loved) the ladies by sharing the pulpit and a portion of the service time, I was given the second service, and a relationship with a brother in Christ... a co-laborer in the work behind bars had been forged.

Faith, family, and fun are my three core values. This Sunday morning fired on all cylinders.

The Sound of Freedom, 2014

Comments

  1. That was so good I'm going to have to share it. You hit my word form last year and this year.... freedom and difnity....very uplifting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fighting is one thing, standing another!

How often have we heard, "Having done all, stand firm." repeated? I take no issue with this powerful Word from the book of Ephesians. In fact, I've relied on, quoted it, and "stood" on it time and again. But have we taken the time to grasp the fullness of, or the writer's intentional use of that three letter word, "all"?  The only fair thing to do is to read backwards and forwards. When reading the words that precede the passage, we are quickly reminded that this is a call to prepare for battle. An invitation  to dress for damage control. Don't believe me? Then note that only one of five elements described actually wields damage. The remainder are for self protection. Reading forward is where we learn that there is more to this "standing" thing than first perceived. After arraying ourselves with defensive garb, we are commanded to pray. Not once, but always! Then challenged to "keep alert", i.e. aware, eyes open. N

The Empty Tomb was Not Empty

John 20:6-7 reads… Simon Peter therefore also came following him,  and entered the tomb;  and he beheld the linen wrappings lying there, and the face-cloth which had been on His head. Not everything that went into the tomb was raised. Only that which was righteous, that which was needed, was resurrected. What lie there, left behind, was the evidence of transformation. The proof of a life lived and sacrificed.  May we choose to give to God, to bury with Christ, all that we clothe ourselves with... our talents, our gifts, and our hurts and disappointments. In return, no doubt He will resurrect only that which brings life. In verse 17 Jesus told Mary to " stop clinging " to who she knew , that he might become who He was intended to be, in the Father’s hands. May we take heed to His words, and let go of past experiences, expectations, or assumptions, making ready our hearts to receive new life … life more abundantly. May we let go of that which is dead and take hold of new life