Skip to main content

Fighting is one thing, standing another!


@c2cCoach

How often have we heard, "Having done all, stand firm." repeated? I take no issue with this powerful Word from the book of Ephesians. In fact, I've relied on, quoted it, and "stood" on it time and again. But have we taken the time to grasp the fullness of, or the writer's intentional use of that three letter word, "all"?  The only fair thing to do is to read backwards and forwards.

When reading the words that precede the passage, we are quickly reminded that this is a call to prepare for battle. An invitation  to dress for damage control. Don't believe me? Then note that only one of five elements described actually wields damage. The remainder are for self protection.

Reading forward is where we learn that there is more to this "standing" thing than first perceived. After arraying ourselves with defensive garb, we are commanded to pray. Not once, but always! Then challenged to "keep alert", i.e. aware, eyes open. Nothing need more be said here.

We are obliged to pray for others and proclaim the truth of the Gospel (four books about Jesus). Yes, that would be more than quoting scripture and telling others what to do. It actually implies sharing the purpose of His presence here on earth, and His intentions having left. Oh, and its mandatory, not optional. 

Well that's how I read it.

Then if that's not enough, we are instructed to do so with full confidence. So much for "just letting my life speak for me." we actually have to open our mouths. In fact, when we read on, it clearly states that we have to do it well enough that others can repeat it. And not just restate it, their own words are required to deliver lasting encouragement. I guess the author didn't intend for me to use my teaching notes, Google, or my cleaver Face Book posts.

So here it is ...

Most days I feel ill equipped.
Thank God for access to the heavenlies.
Some days I want to quit.
Truthfully most days I'm certain it would be easier.
But there's no denying my life is not my own.
He bought it twice.
Once on the cross, and once on the pavement.
Thankful, I put on the defensive garb.
Then I remind myself it's in Him I live and breath and have by being.
Literally.

So it's for His purposes and good pleasure I obey.
I go where He leads. Today it's here. 
Tomorrow has no script, but I'm clear it involves another. 
Later this week its a rescue mission behind bars.
Families pray for it. Communities rely on it.
Christ said it.

I've watched. I've prayed.
He came. He died. We have life because of it.
Now I have told you everything, everything that matters that is.
Please repeat it in such a way that others may be deeply encouraged. 

Comments

  1. Beautiful! We can have confidence in knowing that with Him in us, He is our shield and armor and in Him we can truly live - free in His grace!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Empty Tomb was Not Empty

John 20:6-7 reads… Simon Peter therefore also came following him,  and entered the tomb;  and he beheld the linen wrappings lying there, and the face-cloth which had been on His head. Not everything that went into the tomb was raised. Only that which was righteous, that which was needed, was resurrected. What lie there, left behind, was the evidence of transformation. The proof of a life lived and sacrificed.  May we choose to give to God, to bury with Christ, all that we clothe ourselves with... our talents, our gifts, and our hurts and disappointments. In return, no doubt He will resurrect only that which brings life. In verse 17 Jesus told Mary to " stop clinging " to who she knew , that he might become who He was intended to be, in the Father’s hands. May we take heed to His words, and let go of past experiences, expectations, or assumptions, making ready our hearts to receive new life … life more abundantly. May we let go of that which is dead and take hold of new life

We Are All Called to Freedom

Last Thursday I was invited to bring the message for Sunday morning's worship services at a Central Texas Women's Prison. It was short notice, but an invitation I gave no hesitation too. It was an answer to prayer. While I frequent prisons to deliver intense advances, based on the book Captivating  by Stasi & John Eldredge, I had just shared with my team my desire to get in front of women who might not, otherwise commit to attending our 2-3 day events. With a road trip home the next day in front of me, it left only one day to put together a message before getting back on the road to return, I had my work cut out for me, or so I thought. The theme proved easy enough. Freedom! After all, I would be speaking on July 1st. A quick google search (don't hate, it's just technology's improvement to the concordance) of the word Freedom immediately turned up Isaiah 61:1 The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to proclaim good news t