Skip to main content

A Simple Prayer on an Average Sunday Morning

Sunday morning I needed some Jesus when I woke. Pondering my 2014 word for the year, courage, and wanting to finish well, I grabbed a book I've been wanting to finish for years. Then I placed in on my chest and prayed, "Jesus I need you!" As I fanned the pages trying to locate a starting point, I found and read the following highlighted passage: "I (God) am not merely the best version of you that you can think of. I am more than that," (The Shack

The best version of me? Is that really what we think, what I think? Clearly my need is far greater than a better version me. After all, I and my lack of or limited abilities are the issue.
Pondering the profound words too deep for an immediate answer, I fell back into fanning the pages for a starting point. There it was, a hand written note from a 5-Star friend (those that are know who they are). By the salutation, I could place the time of the note right at about 5 years ago. The message was short. The call to action was clear.

What did it say? "... the Father is speaking Isaiah 54:2-8 to you. Go and read through this with the Holy Spirit giving you understanding and a fresh look at these words". Forgetting the addresses significance, I opened my study bible to find it was the Prayer of Jabez! A call to expand beyond your present place of dwelling, sphere of influence, and even your state of expectation. How could I forget that address? It's not only hangs on my bathroom mirror, I studied it just two months ago. 

Despite my memory lapse, it was clear God had showed up at my request and had something to say. But His was not the only voice I heard. For a brief moment, I heard the accuser's voice encouraging judgment. In my obvious inadequacies, there was something had I missed! What truth had I read five years ago that didn't "stick"? For that matter what in the heck did I not get just two months ago? I knew better. This was not where God wanted me to go with my thoughts. How did I know? Because they were condemning thoughts. The voice of God brings encouragement, and yes, conviction ... but never condemnation! 

No longer concerned about an unfinished book, I let it close shifting my focus onto God's "right now word". After a slow and thorough read through I knew I needed more. My eyes traveled below to the study notes. 

Verses 2-3: An enlarged family must have a larger place to live. 
Verses 4-5: The restored widow has gone from nothing to everything. 
Verses 6-8: After separation because of your sin, you are taken back with everlasting covenant love.

How descriptive this passage is to my present day thoughts, emotions and life circumstances! Wanting a place for family to visit once again. Longing for restoration of resources. And a yearning, no desperately needing to feel His love deeply, as I had not too long ago. (I pondered the inclusion of these raw truths and concluded that without transparency there is both no testimony and no connectivity to you, my reader.)

God had transcended time and space to speak ... answering the simplest of prayers. "God I need you!" How did He answer, by inviting me to receive ... more!

Giving comes easy for me, but despite appearances, it takes courage for me to receive. No wonder over the past two years you've witnessed me being "baptized" in the need to receive! (dieing to self and receiving life ... and everything pertaining to it!) He loves me, and you, enough to not leave us the same as He found us (plagued with the aftermath of sin & separation)!

Next I ran a Google search on the word courage. To you it might sound like I've gone off on a rabbit trail. However, this is the way I'm wired. A need to know in order to understand and apply. Oh sure, I'd much prefer a paradigm shift resulting in a behavior change, but they don't always come that easy! This time my search was for the biblical definition of courage. The first thing that turned up was a Hebrew study of the word as used in Psalm 27:14 Wait for the Lord; be strong and courageous. Wait for the Lord.  God produces courage in you. Hmm, all this time I've been trying to develop it through my responses, and even grow in it by my actions! Only to learn, it is God who gives courage. I can't operate in it until I receive it. And all I had to do was ask for it? Wouldn't you know! 

God gives courage to your heart, not your head. (- Holy Spirit) Is it any wonder He tells us to guard our hearts? Proverbs 4:23 Guard your heart above all else, for it is the source of life.

Living life to the fullest, enlarging your territory, expanding your influence, and praying the Jabez Prayer, all take courage ... not our own, but His. Ask for it! He promises that if we will ask, and keep asking, we will receive. Matthew 7:7-8.

I may have asked five years ago. I may have even asked two months ago, but I will not let that stop me from asking today ... because I know I will receive!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fighting is one thing, standing another!

How often have we heard, "Having done all, stand firm." repeated? I take no issue with this powerful Word from the book of Ephesians. In fact, I've relied on, quoted it, and "stood" on it time and again. But have we taken the time to grasp the fullness of, or the writer's intentional use of that three letter word, "all"?  The only fair thing to do is to read backwards and forwards. When reading the words that precede the passage, we are quickly reminded that this is a call to prepare for battle. An invitation  to dress for damage control. Don't believe me? Then note that only one of five elements described actually wields damage. The remainder are for self protection. Reading forward is where we learn that there is more to this "standing" thing than first perceived. After arraying ourselves with defensive garb, we are commanded to pray. Not once, but always! Then challenged to "keep alert", i.e. aware, eyes open. N

We Are All Called to Freedom

Last Thursday I was invited to bring the message for Sunday morning's worship services at a Central Texas Women's Prison. It was short notice, but an invitation I gave no hesitation too. It was an answer to prayer. While I frequent prisons to deliver intense advances, based on the book Captivating  by Stasi & John Eldredge, I had just shared with my team my desire to get in front of women who might not, otherwise commit to attending our 2-3 day events. With a road trip home the next day in front of me, it left only one day to put together a message before getting back on the road to return, I had my work cut out for me, or so I thought. The theme proved easy enough. Freedom! After all, I would be speaking on July 1st. A quick google search (don't hate, it's just technology's improvement to the concordance) of the word Freedom immediately turned up Isaiah 61:1 The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to proclaim good news t

The Empty Tomb was Not Empty

John 20:6-7 reads… Simon Peter therefore also came following him,  and entered the tomb;  and he beheld the linen wrappings lying there, and the face-cloth which had been on His head. Not everything that went into the tomb was raised. Only that which was righteous, that which was needed, was resurrected. What lie there, left behind, was the evidence of transformation. The proof of a life lived and sacrificed.  May we choose to give to God, to bury with Christ, all that we clothe ourselves with... our talents, our gifts, and our hurts and disappointments. In return, no doubt He will resurrect only that which brings life. In verse 17 Jesus told Mary to " stop clinging " to who she knew , that he might become who He was intended to be, in the Father’s hands. May we take heed to His words, and let go of past experiences, expectations, or assumptions, making ready our hearts to receive new life … life more abundantly. May we let go of that which is dead and take hold of new life